- Digestive system
- Esophagus covered by dark purple tissue.
- Stomach and spiral caecum equal in size.
- Posterior salivary glands absent.
- Intestine short.
- Male reproductive tract
- Male reproductive tract illustrated but not described.
- Female reproductive tract
- Proximal oviduct short; distal oviduct long.
- Aperature of oviduct flared with plicate collar.
- Oviducal gland finely plicate.
- Half orange.
- 7-8 primary lamellae.
- Beaks illustrated but not described.
- Radula with great individual variation. Radulas from three different octopods illustrated here.
- Mantle and head light brownish-purple.
- Posterior borders of fins dark purple.
- Aboral web and arms darkish purple.
- Oral web and arms dark purple with lighter colored suckers and cirri.
Grimpoteuthis tuftsi: Description ContinuedRichard E. Young and Michael Vecchione
Voss, G. L. and W. G. Pearcy. 1990. Deep-water octopods (Mollusca: Cephalopoda) of the Northeastern Pacific. Proc. Calif. Acad. Sci., 47: 47-94.
About This Page
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, USA
National Museum of Natural History, Washington, D. C. , USA
Page copyright © 2002 and
Page: Tree of Life Grimpoteuthis tuftsi: Description Continued Authored by Richard E. Young and Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.