Berryteuthis magister shevtsoviTsunemi Kubodera
B. m. shevtsovi was described by Katugin (2000) based on 7 adult specimens collected by bottom trawl from the continental slope of the Japan Sea at 600m depth. One male (162mm ML) and one female (172mm ML) were designated as holotype and paratype, respectively.
A Berryteuthis with ...
- small size at maturity (females<20cm ML, males<17cm ML).
- large fins (FL=50% ML, FL=77% ML)
- weakly differentiated hookless tentacular club.
- small differences between central and marginal suckers on the manus.
- fixing apparatus consists of almost 40 elements.
- bicuspid lateral teeth of the radula.
- one of arms IV modified into hectocotylized arm with swollen base of dorsal marginal suckers at middle 1/3 of the arm.
- low fecundity (3755 eggs in B. m. shevtsovi vs. 25,000 eggs in B. magister).
- large eggs (largest egg diameter 5.9 mm). Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Oral views of the tentacle and club, and arm IV of the holotype of Berryteuthis magister shevtsovi (162 mm ML). Drawings from Katugin (2000).
Figure. Ventral and dorsal views of Berryteuthis magister shevtsovi identified by Okutani (2005) collected by K. Doi in the Sea of Japan. Photos from Okutani (2005).
No informations is available for early life history of this sub-species. Biological characteristics of B. magister, including possibly this sub-species, off northern Hokkaido and the Sea of Japan were reported by Kubodera (1992).
The distribution of B. m. shevtsovi is confined in the Sea of Japan, 200-600m depth.
Katugin, O.N. 2000. A new subspecies of the schoolmaster gonate squid, Berryteuthis magister (Cephalopoda: gonatidae), form the Japan Sea. The Veliger 43(1): 82-97.
Kubodera, T. 1992. Biological characteristics ofthe gonatid squid, Berryteuthis magister (Cephalopoda: Oegopsida) off northern Hokkaid, Japan. Memoirs of the Nationa Science Museum, Tokyo 25: 111-123.
Okutani, T. 2005. Chuttlefishes and squids of the world. Publication for the 40th Anniversary of the Foundation of National Cooperative Association of Squid Prosessors, Tokyo.
About This Page
National Science Museum, Tokyo, Japan
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Tsunemi Kubodera at
Page copyright © 2015
Page: Tree of Life Berryteuthis magister shevtsovi Authored by . Tsunemi Kubodera. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 06 June 2006
- Content changed 06 June 2006
Citing this page:
Kubodera, Tsunemi. 2006. Berryteuthis magister shevtsovi http://tolweb.org/Berryteuthis_magister_shevtsovi/66579/2006.06.06 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 06 June 2006 (under construction).